Saturday, July 2, 2016





Update*

In the summer and fall of 2017 I finished the 6th and final dna reflector.

Prior to # 6, I considered my work sacred art, but, I called it "art of the seeker."  In 2006 or 7 I was studying the teachings of a man named Gurdjieff whose ideas about sacred art had a huge impact on my life and work.  I was literally stuck for around 9 years in this dna reflector set but specifically in reflectors #2 and #3. 

The set started from an idea I had read in the mid to late 90s about dna.  The idea was that human dna used to have 12 strands of dna but was altered to only have 2.  I thought "hmmm...could I design a set of 12 mandalas to represent these strands...to maybe "strum" them back into existence or experience.  In the 2nd and 3rd dna reflectors I encountered those ideas about sacred art that required me to look deeper into myself...that began a process of "changing my mind" or metanoia.  For about 8 years, roughly 2006 to 2014 I could not figure out how to complete the set.  And then new information arrived that got me rolling again...information about the membrane in a cell. 

By the 5th dna reflector, I knew that we didn't need 12 strands of dna.  In part, it was an incorrect assumption about dna and what those strands do.  But it was also the fact that...all through history, there has been a certain knowledge about humanity and inner work.  There are known things you can do to "change something in your blood."

In the winter of 2016 I encountered more information that then became dna reflector # 6 and the final mandala in the set.  dna reflector # 6 is all information, the mean or the golden ratio.

At this time, the mandalas have been rolled up and put away but I am happy to say that they are complete.  I had to choose to focus on the next body of work and getting that into production.  That has led to my first show in many years, June 11th to August 28th 2018...a whole new series of photos that is 180 degrees opposite of the mandalas as far as production goes. 

I have decided to leave the rest of this blog in its original form.  It contains the story line of the mandala.  Eventually I will expand on the story.  I know what cracked the biggreenpea and got me moving from where I was stuck...but will tell that story in a little while.  For now here is a hint...https://biggreenpea.wordpress.com/.




No comments:

Post a Comment